Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday Eating

Attending all of the parties this time of year and seeing all of the Christmas specials on the Food Network, I'm reminded just how many unique foods there are this time of year. To be quite honest, I never think of Christmas as being a time of particularly wonderful food, but I am now thinking of it as a time of great nostalgic food. This time of year presents so many great food memories for me. Many of them revolve around desserts of course. Sugar cookies and Buckeyes are my favorite remembered foods. Although, some other greats that my mom used to make include, Hungarian Horns, Candy Cane Cookies, and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies. Even though Buckeyes are a real pain to make, having to individually roll these sticky peanut butter concoctions by hand, and later hand-dip each ball in chocolate, the taste of the chocolate/peanut butter combination is well worth the effort. Simple things like fudge and sugar cookies are exciting this time of year. These tastes take me back many years to the excitement of the pending day. I love the memories these foods create and hope you are enjoying creating your own for years to come.

1 comment:

Todd said...

What about cathedral windows? I like our tradition of beef for Christmas. So many just go back to turkey, which I just had for Thanksgiving and could use a break from. There is nothing better than prime rib with mushroom gravy.